Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Cogs update (#40)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cogs update (#40)

I just got off the phone with Tamra, and wanted to give you guys an update on Mike's condition. (Context for people who weren't at Spokane: Michael "Cogs" Collins, #40, crashed in turn 11 and had to be transported to Deaconess hospital.)

He's in stable condition, with the following injuries:

* Broken rib on the right side, which caused
    * Lacerations to the spleen and liver
    * Compression fractures in the T7, T8 and T9 vertebrae
    * Minor head bump

The rib and organ injuries were making it hard for him to breathe when he was awake, but he's now on Delotid for pain, which is allowing him to sleep. Tamra says he's breathing more deeply while sleeping.

The organ injuries did bleed a little bit, but the bleeding seems to have stopped as of today, so cross your fingers that those will just heal on their own.

The spinal injury may or may not require surgery. Tamra says that he'll be transported to Harborview in the next day or two, where they'll make final determination of whether he needs surgery or not.

She said that his helmet was trashed, and described a big, puffy head injury on one side of his face, but that's been checked, and didn't cause any important damage. He's been conversing clearly and shows no signs of brain trauma.

Tamra wanted me to thank everyone who helped out, she was amazed to see that their truck had been carefully packed and only with the things they'd need. I let her know that the rest of their stuff will be held by the various people who have it until they've got time to sort it all out, in the next few weeks. She's glad to have such a supportive group of fellow racers. I'm also immensely pleased at how well we have handled this situation.

She expects Cogs to be going to Harborview in the next day or two, and will be talking to a social worker about transportation arrangements soon. I (or someone) will have an update for you when that happens. Tamra is currently without internet access, so her cellphone is the right way to contact her. Let me know via PM if you need the number.

Thanks for all your support, it means a lot to Tamra, and will continue to be very useful over the next few weeks.

- Ian #823

Thanks for the post and here's to a complete and speedy recovery for Cogs.
    moderation in moderation
    "bull fighting,mountain climbing and moto racing are the only true sports, all the rest are merely games." stolen quote
    WmrrA # 888

WMRRA Board of Directors

Thanks for the update, let us know if/when he can receive visitors at Harborview and what rags he wants to read during recovery. I have an idea of his tastes, but some specifics would be appreciated.
    WMRRA #217
    MotoBits Precision Motorcycle Parts, now with Ninja 250 rearsets!
    Seattle Cycle Center
    “‘In the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” - Charles Darwin

I think Ducati Seattle going to try and sneak him out of the hospital within the week

Thank you so much for the update on Cogs. I am glad to know that he is doing better than how we found him in turn 11. He, like all the racers Crash and I helped pick up this last weekend, was on my mind and in my thoughts.

-bat

I believe he's a Hustler and Jugs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by pscook View Post
    Thanks for the update, let us know if/when he can receive visitors at Harborview and what rags he wants to read during recovery. I have an idea of his tastes, but some specifics would be appreciated.

WMRRA Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by SlowStad View Post
    I believe he's a Hustler and Jugs fan.
    Oh, well, that's easy then. I, um, may know somebody with tastes that run in that direction...
    WMRRA #217
    MotoBits Precision Motorcycle Parts, now with Ninja 250 rearsets!
    Seattle Cycle Center
    “‘In the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” - Charles Darwin

Hey Mike, I had no idea you had crashed, I bolted out of there before the race!!

Take it easy and tell Dave to put his overalls on and get back to the shop while you are gone. If you or Tamra need anything don't hesitate to call. Really. (206)229 4867

Get well soon!
    [B][I]Chris Fratini
    WMRRA#65

Life becomes a nuisance when you take it too seriously

Grid Fluffer for hire! Lauralynne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pscook View Post
    Oh, well, that's easy then. I, um, may know somebody with tastes that run in that direction...
    gosh - and I doubted you when you said they were someone else. You can borrow them again if you want
    Laura
    WMRRA's slowest Expert
    Growing the race team by 1 in 2011

Please let me know if he is still in Spokane, and if he needs a visit while he is still here.