Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
125 tips?

Thread: 125 tips?

Default 125 tips?

Hi! I'm thinking of coming down from Canada to race my 125. Any tips or info I should know? I see that tech requires a cover over my primary drive... I assume since we don't have one that we're exempt? What gearing? Anyone else planning to race 125 this year? Do we race with any other bikes? (or will I be last... at my regular club I'm gridded with rz350's and some other stuff that I can pass!) Thanks in advance!

There are a bunch of 125 racers in WMRRA. I'm sure one will chime in later with more details, but to get an idea of grid sizes and bike mixes you can go take a look at some of last years results.

The 125GP class is just 125's (duh ), and the 250GP class is mostly 125's, but Open Singles has some other weird stuff to race against.
    Last edited by timk; 03-07-2006 at 07:52 AM.

That's it? No tips or hints? Don't worry... even if you tell me every secret you've got I'll be at the back of the pack... This is my first year with the new(er) generation bike (96 now, had a 92 last year) and I have no clue...

You don't want hints or tips from me -- I ride 1000cc 4-strokes, slowly!

I really thought some of the insect-fogger pilots would chime in on this thread but they must all be too busy rebuilding their bikes for the upcoming season, so I guess you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by timk
    insect-fogger pilots ...must all be too busy rebuilding their bikes
    haha! that was pretty funny! the 125 riders up here all help each other out... maybe you guys are more hardcore...

I was waiting for Jeff to chime in on this one. All the other 125 pilots aren't forum regulars.

What kinda tips are you looking for?

I think the fairing counts as a cover for the primary drive gear. I've never had anyone say anything about it at tech.

Classes are just as Tim described. We wave start with SV's so there's some dealing with that as the fast SV have to pass/lap the slow 125's and the slow SV's get passed by the 125's.

Shellie
    WMRRA Regi-Star and #145

Thanks! I was worried about the primary thing... didn't want to make the trek down there to find that you guys had all done some kind of mod to comply with the rules and without it I couldn't race! Too bad we grid with SV's... no way I'm getting past one of those! oh well... someone's gotta be last! At least the tracks look nice...

Come on down and race with us...

The primary on a 125 is completely enclosed (the primary drive is the connection between the crankshaft and the clutch). This rule pretty much only applies to a very few (mostly vintage) bikes. Some old bikes actually have an external chain or belt linking the crankshaft to the clutch.

While we share the track with SV's we are not racing against them. There are multiple waves starts in the 125 / SV races. The SV's start first and then the 125's start about 15 seconds (I think) after the SV's start. The classes mix eventually on the track as faster 125s will overtake slower SVs and faster SVs will overtake the slower 125s...

Just go over the safety wire rules so you aren't surprised when you come down...

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I was thinking that they were referring to the primary drive sprocket... I don't see any problems with safety wiring... same same from one club to the next. Not sure about the size of the overflow bottle though... 16oz? That's like having a Big Gulp strapped on each side of your bike! I'll look forward to getting lapped by the SV's I guess!