Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Let's talk injuries...

Default Let's talk injuries...

At what point have you decided 'Enough is enough' due to injuries?

At the risk of stating the obvious... I haven't yet.
    Chris Sarbora #64
    Studio819 Photography

Wide open 'til you see God...

Doesn't mean you quit. Perhaps changed classes? Or just slowed down?
    Last edited by Brute; 05-25-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Well, I haven't been back to the Isle of Man since I crashed there in 2012.

I've had several opportunities to go back and continue to race, but have allowed any number of "reasons" to prevent me. Money.. Lack Of Seat Time.. Paperwork.. Logistics.. etc. Not hard things to overcome - if you're trying.

I do get nervous when I let myself really think about it. My crash wasn't even particularly bad for me; only broke my wrist. But, I skidded past a signpost at about 120mph.. had I been a few feet to the left I would have made a pretty gruesome scene.

I used to think it was a certainty that I'd get back there and try again. I still definitely want to, but now, several years away from it, I'm not as sure it'll happen. On top of the aforementioned subliminal fear, Life is starting to play a lot bigger role... serious relationships, wanting to buy a house, career instead of job, etc. More to keep busy with, and frankly, more to lose.

If I do make it back, I'm pretty certain I would quickly make a habit of it again. If I don't make it back.. well, I'm starting - just starting - to realize that I might be able to live with it.
    Last edited by tophyr; 05-25-2016 at 04:39 PM.
    Chris Sarbora #64
    Studio819 Photography

Wide open 'til you see God...

I quit in 2012 after I crashed pretty badly in turn 2 at Pacific, my best friend then crashed hard during the next race, and followed by 2 deaths inside of 60 days. Those of you around during that era know who I am talking about. It was unprecedented, but nevertheless, I decided that Pacific was too dangerous for me to ride.

I took a couple of years off without a bike and it wasn't good. Once I saw the videos from the Ridge, I bought a bike again for track days, telling myself that I will stay away from competitive racing and not push it to the limit. I have only been able to do one track day because of continuous problems with my S1000RR, but I hope to be out on track a bunch more, but not at 'race pace'.

In the mean time, I can volunteer as a corner worker with WMRRA and still have fun. I love the community of people and relaxed feel.
    Last edited by Seraphim38; 05-25-2016 at 01:30 PM.

BigMan on a little bike MotoWerx's Avatar

I've sustained a few injuries (hit the wall @ PR just after the chute doing 140ish. That left a mark! ) but nothing to scare me away from this sport. I am missing the part of DNA that scares folks away. My belief is I am prepared to die and therefore have no reason to fear it. Pain from injuries is just pain, lets me know I am alive and to enjoy it because its not here forever. I have taken time off racing (last race in 2009) to have a family but still doing track days as much as I can. If I had more means, I'd be racing as I enjoyed it immensely but instructing during track days is just as rewarding in a different way and far cheaper.
    -Dave

www.TheMotoWerx.com

"I live my life in a confused haze, only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

I was involved in a bad wreck back in 2008 that involved some spinal injuries and lung issues along with some other broken bones. It was a freak wreck that is unlikely to occur again, so i got back on the horse again right away. That being said, I do avoid certain race tracks or configs when I determine the risk of injury/death is too high. (IE Shennandoah at Summit Point MP in WV).
    07 R6
    WERA/WMRRA Expert #785

one thing is for sure with WMRRA tribe. if you give up on RR we would NEVER kick you out.
    WMRRA #230

"Live Life, Taste Death."

Marshall of All Corners

Both times I've crashed and hurt myself (17 years and two Novice program graduations apart), I've gone back to working corners/volunteering yet again. I'll still do some track days (skills improvement, yes, but not worried about outright pace or dragged knees), but I've lost the motivation to push the way racing requires. Doesn't help that I don't "bounce" like I did back when... Racing, or not, stay involved!
    All your DFL are belong to me!
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF...

Quote Originally Posted by MotoWerx View Post
    I've sustained a few injuries (hit the wall @ PR just after the chute doing 140ish. That left a mark! ) but nothing to scare me away from this sport. I am missing the part of DNA that scares folks away. My belief is I am prepared to die and therefore have no reason to fear it. Pain from injuries is just pain, lets me know I am alive and to enjoy it because its not here forever. I have taken time off racing (last race in 2009) to have a family but still doing track days as much as I can. If I had more means, I'd be racing as I enjoyed it immensely but instructing during track days is just as rewarding in a different way and far cheaper.
    You sound,,, young. I used to say that sort of stuff up until I hit my 50's and had my third (fourth now...) rotator cuff repair. In my 60's now and many things are weighed and found lacking in the 'pain to enjoyment' scale these days. Recently had the 'letting me know I am alive' pain when I could not open a canning jar. Awesome!