Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Advice for first race bike

Default Advice for first race bike

Hey there guys. I need a little advice right now. So currently I am living in san diego and I'm a week into AC shoulder surgery recovery. I'm hoping to move up to Seattle and be fit to race in 2017. I will be a first time racer and have two options. I have a 2012 daytona 675r already in track trim, but not quite race worthy. I also have a 2014 ktm duke 690 that wouldn't cost much to get into race spec. I want some opinions on whether it would be worth it to race the ktm for the first season or two. If not I will be selling it to move onto a supermoto for the streets. The daytina is staying in my garage no matter what, but I am not in a rush to race in the 600 class. I also just want to say thanks for the awesome support you guys seem to have up in washington and I'm stoked to hopefully make it up there.

Either could work, so it is generally just preference.

A quick look at the rulebook suggests you can race the 690 in 500SBK (Sunday), Lightweight SBK (Sunday), Open Singles (Saturday), & 250 GP (Sunday). 600TFS is also legal, but wouldn't be a good fit. As a Novice you would race the 690 with Lightweight SBK for sure, and we'd have to consider the other classes. You wouldn't race it in the Novice classes, even though you would still run a Novice number until you graduated.

The 675 would be raced in the Novice 2 class (one race each on Saturday and Sunday) with other 600s until you graduated (complete 10 races), after which it could race in all of the 600 eligible classes (600 and 750 SS and SBK). There is also the Clubman Qualifier class that it could race in as an expert.

Hard to say which way to go. Both would be fun. I suggest reading through the rule book to get familiar with the classes and the novice requirements if you haven't done so already. Hope to see you out there next year!
    '11 Aprilia RSV4

Don't know if the 'Race Ready' rental bikes are still around but that might be a good way to start off if you can afford it. All you have to do is show up. Lot's less work!

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Don't know if the 'Race Ready' rental bikes are still around but that might be a good way to start off if you can afford it. All you have to do is show up. Lot's less work!
    They are! Ninja 250's are an excellent way to learn how to ride a track.

Premium Rush Rentals
    http://www.premiumrushrentals.com/
    WMRRA #479
    2014 Vintage 500 Champion

The only reason I ask about the two above is because I already own them. If it would benifit to start on the slower duke for a bit of a loss for when I sold it I wouldn't mind too much. Or if I'll it wouldn't help too much I'd rather go right into spending my budget on the daytona now and be done with it. The rental seems like a great idea for those that might be on the fence if they want to get into the sport or not. I already know I want to make the next step and be all in.

There's going to be a bit of custom work on the Duke to make it legal, like the belly pan.

That's the biggest issue. The rest is just removing lights and adding a bunch of safety wire and a few other things.

The 675R wouldn't be bad but it would be a bit pricey for fairings, etc, unless by track trim you mean you already have race fairings?

I didn't look hard enough.....never mind then!
    Last edited by RK600; 05-01-2016 at 06:52 PM.
    WMRRA #479
    2014 Vintage 500 Champion

'11 Aprilia RSV4

The plan would be to grab the cup kit, which includes the belly pan, and case covers which would run me about 1500. Or I need case covers, front brake lever protector and a full suspension refresh and respring on the 675r which would probably be about 1500 as well. Anything else is extra. I plan to go into either one now while I'm injured that way as soon as I'm recovered I'm ready to go right into track day practicing this year.

The Triumph will offer vastly more growth potential, as far as track bikes go. The KTM I'm sure would be a blast, and there will I'm sure be a class it fits in, but AFAIK it's not something you could realistically race in any of the "common" roadrace classes (600, 750, 1000, 650 Twins, 250/300 Cup etc).
    Chris Sarbora #64
    Studio819 Photography

Wide open 'til you see God...

Cost effectiveness, go with the Triumph. A: it's already in track trim - it won't take much to get it to race trim B: More cost effective - That KTM will cost you a pretty penny if you go down and we're also talking about a big single that will take a LOT more maintenance to keep strong than the Triumph.

Best option: Sell one or simply pick up a Ninja 300. There's a big learning curve, so get something you can learn on.

I hope this helps!
    WMMRA #174
    Thanks to:
    Lynnwood Motoplex, HMC Racing and my wife