Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Track edges/curbing at TRMP?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Track edges/curbing at TRMP?

I've been seeing some pictures of the work being done at The Ridge on my Facebook feed lately, and I can't help but notice what appear to be inclined "ramps" or asphalt transitions at both edges of the track, joining the track surface to the higher edge of the new curbing. Does anyone else see an issue with this, especially on the inside radius of turns?
    I also noticed what looked like concrete rippled curbing on the runoff from T16. After having seen more than one bike exit the track at that spot, I hope it's not what it looks like. Did the track elicit comments or suggestions from WMRRA before making these changes? Has anyone here seen it first hand?
    Troy Gessner
    T&J Racing
    (337) 254-0969
    troygessner37@yahoo.com
    2014 Sponsors:
    Vanson Leathers
    Vacationland RV
    KFG Racing/GP Suspension/Pirelli Tires
    Pacific Track Time
    Arai Americas
    California Superbike School
    MotoNation USA
    Constructors Racing Group
    Impact Armor
    Spider Grips

Rode it today.

The turns are a bit different. 13 is extremely tight and low speed so I don't think the bikes will have much problem with it, or blowing into the gravel traps. I'm by far not nearly as fast as the fast guys on here but I noticed the rumbles but didn't hit them. 14 has been elevated a bit and straightened out a little for an easier transition into 15. 15 is much wider with lots of run off, and better transitioning into 16. 16 does have some loose asphalt on the inner lip but had a rc8 blow through there today in front of me and he didn't have a problem with it. I went through there multiple times and never paid much attention to it as I was paying attention well ahead of there. The corners flowed rather well.

From what incidents I saw today, only one person went off in 13 at the Ridge Complex entrance, vice how many I have seen in the past. He didn't get hurt nor did his bike, it's a very slow corner now..makes for an interesting line..well it's fun on the Gnat but the 4-strokes I am sure have more concern than I did.
    Last edited by Jax; 04-11-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Grammar
    '99 Aprilia rs250
    WMRRA #60, formerly #919
    2014 250gp Champion
    Sponsors: Blue Monkey Motorsports, KFG Racing, HealTech, SUB

The "ramps" connecting the asphalt to the curbing have always been there at all curb locations. They still have to place the final 2" asphalt lift on the track, so the ramps just serve to eliminate a sharp edge. They aren't a big deal.

The ripple curbing isn't a big deal to me for the most part...just stay off of it. I'm not a fan in run-off zones though...they could make an already bad situation way worse. I didn't notice it in T16, but all the new curbing around T13 has the ripple curbing.

My main concern is the tire wall on the outside of T13. If you out-brake yourself, you can still just go straight and take the road, which is good. However, if you run wide and want to stand it up and go off-track, there isn't much room before the tire wall and air fence...especially considering that you'll run over the ripple curbing as you leave the track which could make things hairier. T13 is now really sharp...can't tell if I'll like it or not until we race, but I can for sure see people running wide there as they try to out-brake each other into the turn.

My understanding is they did not ask for WMRRA input before making the changes.
    '11 Aprilia RSV4

Good info Jeremy. Also, don't forget about the slight hill grade now right at the end of the back straight going into T13. With everyone trying to out brake each other, I certainly hope that little grade difference doesn't cause any end-over-ends. Not to mention, going into T13 is now really blind because of that grade. From the few dry laps I had on Saturday, I'll say right now that I'm not a big fan of the changes on the back 3 or 4 turns leading on to the main straight.

It's too bad that they only think of the cars .... I'm sure they got input. ..
    WMRRA #112
    AMRRA #2
    Syndicate 6 Racing

Sponsors:
    KFG racing
    Scorpion EXO
    VORTEX
    Mt Backer Motorsports
    Amsoil

I dunno. The Moto GP guys don't seem to have an issue with it.
    WMRRA #479
    2014 Vintage 500 Champion

MotoGP?
    '11 Aprilia RSV4

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    MotoGP?
    MotoGP, WSBK, AMA all ride tracks that have curbing like that. They don't seem to have issues with it. I don't think it's quite pronounced as the Ridge but it's definitely rippled.
    WMRRA #479
    2014 Vintage 500 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by RK600 View Post
    MotoGP, WSBK, AMA all ride tracks that have curbing like that. They don't seem to have issues with it. I don't think it's quite pronounced as the Ridge but it's definitely rippled.
    Gotcha. I've never seen wavey curbing like TRMP now has though...usually it is stepped. Seems steps would be a little more forgiving. That said, the tire wall is my only real issue.
    '11 Aprilia RSV4

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Gotcha. I've never seen wavey curbing like TRMP now has though...usually it is stepped. Seems steps would be a little more forgiving. That said, the tire wall is my only real issue.
    If they have big wavy curbing on the outside of corners I'm not sure that I will ride there ever again. I'd have to take a look but that sounds like Rainey city to me.

Sponsors
    Working my ass off.
    An understanding wife.