Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Proper Tire Warm-Up Lap Procedure - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks guys. I don't plan on doing it as we have all been warned against it on numerous occasions by now. So, rest assured...no weaving will be done by me. My reason for the post was to understand WHY anyone in MotoGP, World SBK, or elsewhere does it at all.

As for leg dangling, I don't plan on doing that one either as it doesn't seem to offer any real benefit and all the experts can't seem to agree on its effectiveness.

Maybe they are weaving to give the tires a bit of a scrub? Certainly not for warming purposes...

If we were in prison, I would protect you. KTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dammyneckhurts View Post
    Maybe they are weaving to give the tires a bit of a scrub? Certainly not for warming purposes...
    You sir, are correct (i think)

There is a film applied to the tire mold during production (to allow the tire to releases from the mold easily), when the tire is removed from the mold the film goes with it. To my knowledge, the weaving is not to heat up the tire, but to remove the uber slick film left from the tire mold.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaofodin87
    As for leg dangling, I don't plan on doing that one either as it doesn't seem to offer any real benefit and all the experts can't seem to agree on its effectiveness.
    Rossi started the whole leg dangle stuff. Best part is, he didn't even know he was doing it until he was shown tape. He has a flat track backround, so he does it unconsciously because it feels natural. When the fastest guy out there (at the time) has a noticeably different riding style folks take notice and try to emulate, which is why we see it everywhere now. Beneficial? hard to say. I've given it a try myself, it does makes for a nice stretch but not much else imo.
    Last edited by KTech; 04-17-2014 at 03:52 PM.

I don't think anyone (Dunlop & Pirelli for sure...not sure on Michelin) uses mold release anymore. New tires are shiny because the molds are so smooth. New tires just need to be brought up to temperature. People from various forums have emailed the major manufacturers to ask the question. Break-in periods are recommended by the tire manufacturers (for street tires) to allow riders to get used to the new tires...it's a CYA measure.

Some racers weave because it helps them mentally...they think they need to. Those who don't weave are just as fast or faster off the start as those who do. In the last WSBK race for example, Sykes and most of the others didn't weave...but Melandri did as he pulled up to his grid position.

http://www.sportrider.com/how-to-pro...arm-your-tires
    Last edited by Jeremy; 04-17-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    '11 Aprilia RSV4

If we were in prison, I would protect you. KTech's Avatar

^ Learn something new everyday, guess my tire mold film info is a bit dated..