Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Proper Tire Warm-Up Lap Procedure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    8

    Default Proper Tire Warm-Up Lap Procedure

    At the classroom session Mark advised us quite strongly against weaving to warm up our tires during our out lap (sighting lap, warm-up lap, etc...). He said that it actually cools the tire down, thus defeating the purpose of riding a warm-up lap. However, while watching the World Superbike races from this weekend (and especially the Superstock 600 race) I noticed a number of riders weaving during their lap and right before they gridded up. I don't doubt that what Mark said in class is true, but I'm sure there is a good reason for them doing this as they are all professionals. Does anyone have a good explanation?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Thadzx10R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Blaine
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Best thing you can do it buy warmers.
    WMRRA #112
    AMRRA #2
    Syndicate 6 Racing

    Sponsors:
    KFG racing
    Scorpion EXO
    VORTEX
    Mt Backer Motorsports
    Amsoil

  3. #3

    Default

    Habit, personal preference, superstition... etc.

    Carcass flexing is what causes internal friction, which is what causes heat. The safest way to flex the carcass is hard (straight) braking and acceleration. It's safe(r) because if you do exceed available grip, you're going straight and a slide is much more controllable. Sure, I'd bet that weaving side-to-side causes the tires to gain some heat too (the tires are still flexing after all) -- but it's far less safe, and arguably less effective.

    It's good advice to "warm" your tires with straight up-and-down braking and acceleration throughout your first lap or two, while very gradually increasing your lean angles. Don't try trail-braking or hard acceleration off the corners until you know the tires are warm enough.

  4. #4
    Senior Member stevieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kent WA
    Posts
    338

    Default

    PLEASE DON'T WEAVE on the warm up laps! Nobody wants to get accidentally taken out by a warm up lap weaver!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Gienau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oak Harbor,WA
    Posts
    362

    Default

    I do random weaving, even when racing to keep everyone on there toes. Makes for harder passing that way.
    WMRRA #230


    "Live Life, Taste Death."

  6. #6
    Senior Member molamphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lacey, WA
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gienau View Post
    I do random weaving, even when racing to keep everyone on there toes. Makes for harder passing that way.
    Yeah but that's in the SV classes. People just think the old guys have Alzheimers and forgot where to go... but you can try to play it off like it's on purpose.
    John
    #851
    '01 SV 650, '91 Duc 851

  7. #7

    Default

    Top three things that will bring the Race Director to a Novice's pit during Round 1 for a lively conversation:

    1. Weaving.
    2. Inside apex leg dangling.
    3. Wheelies down the front straight.

    All are a good way to take someone else out, or to get taken out. Being hit by a bike hurts A LOT and usually results in broken human and bike body parts.
    WMRRA #26
    Damon Wells - 2nd VP - Race Director
    2014 Sponsors and Supporters:
    Pirelli
    Fuzimoto
    My Left Clavicle

  8. #8
    President of the WMRRA Volunteers Fan Club Allister Squid #121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    2nd star to the right and straight on 'til morning...
    Posts
    929

    Default

    Weaving might also bring a raging lunatic....
    Oh, wait...

    Just kidding...
    ahem...
    nevermind...
    nothing to see here.



    Please, please, please. (that's as nice as I can say it)
    For F***S sake, PLEASE, do not intentionally weave on the race track.

    For any reason, including sinking heat into your tires or holding back a drafting racer.

    If you need to sink heat, hard acceleration in the acceleration zones (ie corner exits) and prolonged and hard braking in the braking zones. (ie corner entries).

    Do not randomly brake or weave.

    This shit is serious, and stupid hurts people.
    Last edited by Allister Squid #121; 04-15-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    I was #2, I was the S**T!!!
    Then we were #4, why try harder?
    Uh-oh, gotta go, #2, I am the S**T again!

    I don't roll on shabbos

    The views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of Allister Squid #121

    Dave Lannigan SpeedDealer Motors
    Brand X Custom Paint
    Barry and April Wressel KFG
    Jason, John and Dunlop Tires
    Flexi Glass Bodywork
    Vortex
    GSXR 1,000,000

    Allister Brother - your "special" goes all the way up to 11... Bateman

  9. #9
    Senior Member dwschultzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auburn, WA, USA
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allister Squid #121 View Post
    Weaving might also bring a raging lunatic....
    Oh, wait...

    Just kidding...
    ahem...
    nevermind...
    nothing to see here.



    Please, please, please. (that's as nice as I can say it)
    For F***S sake, PLEASE, do not intentionally weave on the race track.

    For any reason, including sinking heat into your tires or holding back a drafting racer.

    If you need to sink heat, hard acceleration in the acceleration zones (ie corner exits) and prolonged and hard braking in the braking zones. (ie corner entries).

    Do not randomly brake or weave.

    This shit is serious, and stupid hurts people.
    Hate to say it, but I agree with that Allister guy.

    Don't do it. Period. Do not do it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Posts
    171
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinolee View Post
    Top three things that will bring the Race Director to a Novice's pit during Round 1 for a lively conversation:

    1. Weaving.
    2. Inside apex leg dangling.
    3. Wheelies down the front straight.

    All are a good way to take someone else out, or to get taken out. Being hit by a bike hurts A LOT and usually results in broken human and bike body parts.

    But the MotoGP guys are doing it

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •