Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Extra talkback from the R6 engine
    Blog Entries

Default Extra talkback from the R6 engine

Wondering if anyone here has any more experience with the "chain tensioner" talk that comes when the auto cam chain tensioner fails? I ran a session today after corner working/learning and it felt great... I bounced the rev limiter coming out of 16, which i didn't feel was too heinous, but then by the time i got into the hill going up turn 2, under load the bike started sounding like a thumper. Quickly the hand went up and i came off it. The bike didn't "seem" off power, but i stopped flogging it up to the 13-15k rpms. I've researched the various FZ, R6, Etc forums and there's a few different culprits, the cam chain tensioner being one.

At first i thought that it may be a bent valve or something with how noisy it was coming down pit in... However, after seeing some videos I'm not sure whether it's the chain tensioner or the clutch itself as was highlighted in an FZ6 video on the tube. We did pull a number of practice starts the other day and i'm not sure how physically intact mine was to start with-I don't typically use the clutch in up shifts, just rev matching for the down shifts. But, the clutch never felt different-that i noticed.

I'll be dropping the motor tomorrow and investigating... the tensioner and the clutch seem to be the biggest give-aways though I'll keep everyone posted. Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for everyone that came out this weekend, hope you had as much fun as i did!

Blog Entries

Figured it out... this "noise" was the work of a worn out rod bearing on the clutch side. The chain tensioner is getting by on half duty, so it'll get changed to a manual tensioner as well.

Anyone replace their own rod bearings? I'm thinking I'll just sit out the first round and enjoy the corner working and whatever else i can... it jsut sucks that i'm taking a week of leave and going to miss the first race weekend.

Well, it is an '07 R6 motor... looks like i'll get good at rebuilding this engine.
    Last edited by Durango; 04-14-2014 at 06:11 PM.

We had such a great week end weather wise, it will be complete shit in two weeks for the first round.

Get some of your Novice requirements out of the way and do your motor the right way.
    '06 GSXR 750
    '03 RC51
    '17 Novice Rep

Blog Entries

That's what i'm hoping for actually... I had a blast on Sunday doing corner working with Wendy. When we got to the track, it was like i had things clicking better than the day before, although i still was 2:00.0+ around that beast. I had to change out the forks from Saturday since the right fork had a bad seal... now a rod bearing.

Thanks for the heads up Cobra525!