Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Formula Ultra Qualifying? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thadzx10R View Post
    The only thing I would add (if I may) is don't have it a single session as a Q. the transponders get all the laps anyhow so just take each riders fastest lap from the morning in all session's. Q's get ugly especially if they're slower traffic in the way
    I agree, that sounds like a great idea. My guess is the fastest guys will naturally rise to the top over the course of morning practices. They always seem to when I've looked at times the past few years.
    '11 Aprilia RSV4

Like I said we "AMRRA" only did this the 1st race of the year and after the 1st race ever one went by race finishes ..... If a new rider showed up all you do is pull his times from the morning practice and grid him off the last races time card. It works very well and it keeps a new guy from being grided at the back and charging slower riders in turn one possibly causing issues. But I think it's something that needs to be done in ever class to keep it all fair.... plus I don't want to grid in the rear and have to fight for a finish ha ha...

We tried to run full on Q's and there was lots of issues
    1st. Is time.... to run a true Q you need to stagger racers by 15 to 20 sec so they have open air.

2nd. Guys push too hard in a Q and we had lots of crashes in the Q

3rd if you just do a mass start in a Q guys are going to run into traffic and will either make bad passes or the official's will have to deal with a ton of bitching after because they where stuck behind a slower rider and they want to protests there grid spot.
    Last edited by Thadzx10R; 03-26-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    WMRRA #112
    AMRRA #2
    Syndicate 6 Racing

Sponsors:
    KFG racing
    Scorpion EXO
    VORTEX
    Mt Backer Motorsports
    Amsoil

1. This is a pretty cool idea in my opinion, however I don't practice in this group or race FU.
    2. If we're going to do it, the thought of using the fastest of a riders practice laps rather than the fastest of a particular session has merit.
    3. The spectators aren't going to know what the hell is going on with no PA system. If we could tell them it would be exciting for them, but we can't.

Didn't every class use to qualify "back in the day"?

WMRRA 209

When track-intel is working properly, you can see live laptimes via the mobile web app during the session. It's actually pretty cool, and it was working most of last season if I recall. Some folks may be interested. A large TV/monitor with live results might be a cool idea (if someone were willing to donate such equipment).

I may be interested in donating or selling the equipment to track owners or WMRRA at cost of the the equipment, the install I would donate for sure. Good Idea JRod
    Bostron #88

I normally only go out in practice at 80-90%, just to get the body and mind warmed up to the idea of racing, so this format would suck for me, but I see absolutely no reason to crash in practice (even though I did....once). At the end of the day, it hardly matters where you grid up if you are able to get through traffic....we typically have plenty enough time in races to work your way up and back and settle into the position that you eventually finish in! So, if anything it will just make a person like me work harder to make up the positions that I lost at the start due to not pushing very hard in practice!

I do agree that it should be ANY morning practice session though!

Dedicated Spectator and TOR junkie. Worldtraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thadzx10R View Post
    We did this in AMRRA for every class and it works great.... don't over think it.

The only thing I would add (if I may) is don't have it a single session as a Q. the transponders get all the laps anyhow so just take each riders fastest lap from the morning in all session's. Q's get ugly especially if they're slower traffic in the way
    The other option would be to make the second Saturday practice FU only. I realize that would possibly cause some confusion, and a lot of riders in that group might want to practice with the med-fast group, but I don't know if that would cause a cascade of issues.
    Current Rides:
    '08 CBR600RR
    .07 GS500F
    '89 PC800 Pacific Coast - RIP, Moby the Great White Frigidaire.

Dedicated Spectator and TOR junkie. Worldtraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bostron View Post
    I may be interested in donating or selling the equipment to track owners or WMRRA at cost of the the equipment, the install I would donate for sure. Good Idea JRod
    I'll pitch in. Crowdsource this!
    Current Rides:
    '08 CBR600RR
    .07 GS500F
    '89 PC800 Pacific Coast - RIP, Moby the Great White Frigidaire.

Clarification on 2014 Formula Ultra grid qualifying.

In an effort to attract more racers to our Formula Ultra grid, the EBoard adopted the idea of using the last Group 5 practice session lap times on Saturday to determine grid positions for both Saturday and Sunday. After working with AFM to expand our reciprocal license agreements already in place with OMRRA and WMRC, a discussion took place around the concerns of having non-WMRRA fast guys take part with back row grid positions. After much debate, it was decided to try grid qualifying for the 2014 season. If it works, and attracts larger FU grids, then it will be a success. If it doesn't, then we may not do it for 2015.

To be clear, this is nothing new. WMRRA does qualifying practices every year on SOTP weekend. In what is arguably one of the most dangerous practice sessions we have....slow practice. In slow practice, speeds on the track can have upwards of a 50 mph difference, yet there has never been an incident to speak of.

Group 5 practice is "the fast guys". If you are one of the fast guys, you know that when you hit the track in practice, you are going hard, regardless of lap time being recorded or not. If you are slower than the cut-off time in fast practice, you should not be in fast practice. That danger exists regardless of whether lap times are being recorded or not. In the past, race day staff have not been policing riders in different groups. Rest assured that this year they will be looking closer, and if you are riding Group 5 at a pace that is slower than the maximum lap time allowed, you will be moved into a slower, more appropriate practice group.

The whole idea here is to generate more interest in racing our premier class, specifically targeted at non-WMRRA racers. If it works, we will likely continue and maybe expand the idea. If it doesn't work, we will drop it and try something else.

I am not posting here to start a debate with anyone. Just clarifying the issue as best I can. If anyone would like to discuss this further, feel free to email me or your rider representative.

TimO
    "Inside every old man there's a young man screaming what the hell happened?!" - Claud Jinks #314

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

"These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

Quote Originally Posted by tim61 View Post
    ...the maximum lap time allowed...
    Have these times ever been posted for The Ridge?