Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Tank repair and safety concerns - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ETI-Fuel Cell is pretty good to work with - they made our SV endurance tank - it's been solid since we got it in 2010. Props to a good company.
    Climb hard, ride fast...Always!

Blog Entries

That's a great avenue to go down. With the limited aftermarket for these, i'm not entirely sure what an alternate could be. The ones i have are a complete covering over the corners, the others are a carbon fiber/kevlar puck style and a complete kevlar side cover. Can't hurt to ask. Thanks for the insight!

(older thread, but whatever) Yes, as far as the rule book goes, tank sliders are required for the 06-07 R6.

I have a set of the ETI sliders, and I'd trust them over the smaller ones for sure. The only way I'd run those tiny ones is if I was waiting for a set of eti's in the mail. Is it worth 3x the price? Well how much is a new tank?

The way I see it: Traxxions are "sliders", ETI's are "protectors". The traxxion sliders will add a layer of prevention against a fire, but your tank is still susceptible to damage. The eti protectors will protect your tank from fire, and protect much, much better from damage. (and you can just put the eti's right over your dented tank as long as the seams are good). Nice worst case scenario pics: http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showt...7-and-08-09-R6

Obviously no two wrecks are the same, but I'd still rather have bolts holding a kevlar protector on, vs some double sided tape holding a plastic slider on.

I haven't been able to find anything about them going out of business either. Already posted, but here is the link to their site, and a place still selling the tank guards:
    http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/YamahaR6Guards.html
    http://aggracing.com/store/index.php...&product_id=72
    Last edited by b.miller123; 02-19-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Blog Entries

I got the sliders in the mail, been meaning to upload some pictures, but both tanks that i have are dented. The one that cam on the bike is dented on the left hand (clutch/shifter) side of the bike and it's dented pretty good. I'm not sure if it can be pulled or filled. However, i pulled the spare out of the trailer this past weekend and found out that the other side (throttle side) is not only dented, but may have rashed through the dent to make the take unusable unless it is welded and repaired. I'm not sure the rules on welding/repairs like this or if i can fill in the dent on the "good" tank that's on the bike and just go from there.

On a separate note, the slider covers the entire area that the dent is, except for a small crease that extends about 1/2" above the slider towards the top of the tank. They fit on the tank perfectly otherwise.

Advice? (short of purchasing a new tank)

Exact opposite of what you asked for, but this seems like a decent deal:
    http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272889

The dude is in Canada though, so shipping might be a deal killer.

I'd ask around for price quotes on pulling the dent out. Any auto body shop should be able to do it. It may not be worth saving.

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't have a dented tank, as long as there are no cracks in the metal. Unless it's an endurance tank and you need the capacity, you should be able to use it. Most of the grids has rashed tanks...if not at the first race, then by the end of the year. If it were me, and the dent was the only issue, I'd bondo that puppy up and throw some paint on it and roll.
    Climb hard, ride fast...Always!

Blog Entries

Found a fella selling his white tank on eBay, who raced with the WMRRA (#913) so i'm workin at gettin the one that he is sellin. I will probably bondo up the other one and get the sliders on it, just in case this one falls through.

If we were in prison, I would protect you. KTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Found a fella selling his white tank on eBay, who raced with the WMRRA (#913) so i'm workin at gettin the one that he is sellin. I will probably bondo up the other one and get the sliders on it, just in case this one falls through.
    ^ Hi, the tank is all yours man. I'm in no hurry to sell, and I'd rather see it go to a fellow racer than fleabay.

Quote Originally Posted by b.miller123
    Obviously no two wrecks are the same, but I'd still rather have bolts holding a kevlar protector on, vs some double sided tape holding a plastic slider on.
    Just an FYI, the sliders are attached to the tank with industrial strength silicone, not tape They're not going anywhere, but you could get them off if you really wanted to.

- Keith (formerly #913)
    Last edited by KTech; 02-24-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTech View Post
    ^ Hi, the tank is all yours man. I'm in no hurry to sell, and I'd rather see it go to a fellow racer than fleabay.

Just an FYI, the sliders are attached to the tank with industrial strength silicone, not tape They're not going anywhere, but you could get them off if you really wanted to.

- Keith (formerly #913)
    Still, bolts and Kevlar over silicone and plastic for me.

The traxxions are $100 for two pieces of plastic, I'll spend the extra $80 and get something that will protect the tank better.

One of the main things that convinced me: http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...=1#post1013060

And Keith, I'll shoot you a text tomorrow about the tank panel I think I am going to pass on your roommate's set of wheels for now. Too much other stuff to pay for right now.
    Last edited by b.miller123; 02-25-2014 at 03:50 AM.

If we were in prison, I would protect you. KTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
    Still, bolts and Kevlar over silicone and plastic for me.

The traxxions are $100 for two pieces of plastic, I'll spend the extra $80 and get something that will protect the tank better.

One of the main things that convinced me: http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...=1#post1013060

And Keith, I'll shoot you a text tomorrow about the tank panel I think I am going to pass on your roommate's set of wheels for now. Too much other stuff to pay for right now.
    To each his own. I did take a look at the ETI's, surely a good product with proven protection qualities. Imo ETI's, Traxxions, China made CF, etc, it all does the job on a typical lowside, but if the bike goes flipping ETI's do offer more protection.

Sounds good in regards to the panels and roommates wheels. Talk to you soon.