Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Tank repair and safety concerns
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Tank repair and safety concerns

I'm wondering if there's any safety restrictions with a repaired gas tank? I have two '07 R6V tanks, both have dents, as can be imagined. I have a set of tank sliders, but each have dents in the areas that a slider would go, one on one side and the other the opposite side. Wondering:
    1. Are there any safety restrictions, other than the rule to use the sliders on '06-'07 R6's, in using a repaired tank?
    2. Who knows someone on here that can do tank repair, how much and how long will it take?

Thanks in advance guys!

1) starting fluid
    2) match
    3) apply sliders to newly fixed tank
    6) race
    9) you're welcome
    '06 GSXR 750
    '03 RC51
    '17 Novice Rep

I fix the dents in our metal tanks by filing the dent in with bondo - plus the bondo it holds up very well in subsequent crashes. If the tank was punctured, always have it welded as a repair, unless of course it is a composite tank - which have their own repair criteria.
    Climb hard, ride fast...Always!

What are a good set of tank sliders?

Blog Entries

So, i've done some research and there's not as much out there for these guys to start with. Two companies were making them, Traxxion and ETI. It appears that Traxxion is the only guys still making them, although you are able to find some guys in the UK that actually make some as well. I have searched eBay for them and they aren't any cheaper than getting them from Traxxion. The ETI ones seem more legitimate in that they cover the entire side of the tank, but they bolt on to the tank too... so i am not sure if that is a better route than the epoxy/3M tape that Traxxion "puck" style utilizes.

I ordered these: http://www.traxxion.com/r6tanksliders.aspx
    I intend on doing a write up on how easy they are to install as well as if i test them out, their durability too.

Just to be fair, there's no link that i can get to post the ETI ones, as i think the company is not doing business anymore. Just google search them and there will be a list of forums that have discussions on the same thing. Also, I ordered a pair from Knee-down off of eBay to compare to the ones from Traxxion Dynamics, Knee-down is a company out of the UK and they do the carbon fiber ones CNC machined/molded to fit the bike you're purchasing them for. I'm interested to get these in this week. Which ever set comes in first will be the set that i am going to use.

This coming weekend i will be installing the woodcraft engine case covers, EBC pads, Tank Sliders, SS lines, lockwiring in accordance with the WMRRA rulebook, numberplating the fairings and beginning the suspension work to get the bike a rough dial in. I'm still interested in the cat-delete exhaust mod, but am not sure that it'll be a necessary upgrade since i have zero seat time on this particular bike.

I'm still looking for someone that can pull the tank dent for me too! I have two different tanks, both have dents.

I'm looking at those traxxion ones now. When they sell them, is the quantity of (1) a pair, or do you have to put down for a quantity of 2?
    For myself since this is a new bike, I want to feel how each individual "performance" upgrade changes the bike so I will add stuff as I continue throughout the season. My first "race" bike and season of racing. I appreciate all the info Durango!

Marshall of All Corners

For the R6, some orgs require the tank sliders, since those points on the tanks are so vulnerable to puncture in a crash. Not certain about WMRRA, since I don't ride an R6, but check the rulebook, as soon as it's up. The Manga/anime design style may look cool, but it does have a few practical drawbacks...
    All your DFL are belong to me!
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF...

Sponsors:
    Valley Moto Sport
    J + E Automotive
    Hansel Aluminum Products
    Koso NorthAmerica
    Continental Tires

Blog Entries

I received the carbon fiber set from the UK in today. They are super thin though being marketed as "race version" but are super rigid as well. Installation instructions dictate that they be adhered to the tank using silicone compound. I'm not sure how this is going to work, but since i have all the parts (woodcraft covers, lockwire, spring clips, sliders, numberplate, etc, i will be installing all this over the weekend.)

Great find Steadyeddie! I like the ETI ones the best i think. I ordered these other two already and am gonna give them a whirl. I guess i'll find out at tech inspection.
    Last edited by Durango; 01-29-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: amplifying info

WMRRA Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    I received the carbon fiber set from the UK in today. They are super thin though being marketed as "race version" but are super rigid as well. Installation instructions dictate that they be adhered to the tank using silicone compound. I'm not sure how this is going to work, but since i have all the parts (woodcraft covers, lockwire, spring clips, sliders, numberplate, etc, i will be installing all this over the weekend.)

Great find Steadyeddie! I like the ETI ones the best i think. I ordered these other two already and am gonna give them a whirl. I guess i'll find out at tech inspection.
    Just so you know, the easiest way to get confirmation BEFORE you get failed out of tech is to have a nice conversation with the Chief Tech Inspector. That way, you have it on the proper authority that your method is appropriate.

Chief Tech Inspector Troy Brogdon tech.inspector@wmrra.com
    WMRRA #217
    MotoBits Precision Motorcycle Parts, now with Ninja 250 rearsets!
    Seattle Cycle Center
    “‘In the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” - Charles Darwin