Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 148
Thinking about racing

Default Thinking about racing

Hi everyone,

I'm from Victoria B.C and just had a few questions. I did a lot of track days this past season (2012) with 2fast mainly and some other's. I have a bit of the bug to try racing this year possibly. By the end of the year with the track days I was in the advanced class. I was probably middle to back of the pack. Is the racing that much more intense or close to that enviroment? I don't want to get in over my head. As a novice which classes are you aloud to run in? And for each class how much time do you get on the TRACK? Do you get a pracitce and race each day per class or more? I have access to a 125 (engine stock) and a 600 (engine stock), what classes can you run with these bikes? I did the Mike Sullivan Road Racing School in May 2012 so I just need the classroom course I believe. I have all the gear, tire warmers, generator etc... If you can do more than one class, how many do you recommend or what classes do you recommend? Do you suggest smaller cc or does it matter? I'm sure I have more questions but I've done enough rambling on for now. Thanks for your time everyone and any input is good. Thanks Mike

WMRRA Board of Directors

First things first (avert your delicate sensibilities as needed): If track days are masturbation, racing is sex.

On the Novice stuff, it's pretty clear in the rulebook that Novices can race in the Novice class, or on a Ninja 250 in the Ninja classes, a 650 twin in those classes, or a 125 in those classes. The faster bikes run in the Novice class (run what you brung, no maximum limit to displacement or configuration). It is after you graduate to the expert classes that you need to fit yourself into the appropriate class for your displacement/configuration.

Regarding your qualifications, contact the Novice Rep for 2013 Mark DeGross (EmDee on the forums), he will have the mostest and bestest information regarding what you need to do to get in the door.

Welcome to the club, and we hope to see you at the track!
    WMRRA #217
    MotoBits Precision Motorcycle Parts, now with Ninja 250 rearsets!
    Seattle Cycle Center
    “‘In the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” - Charles Darwin

Hi Mike,

I don't know if you have any lap times from doing 2-Fast days or the Sullivan school. But you can see lap times for the Novice Class on MyLaps (or any of the WMRRA results for the last several years). That may help you decide where you might fit in.

Many people will say that racing is *way* more intense than track days. But I really think that's just a personal thing. If you let it be, or if you are a highly competitive personality then yes...racing will be very different from a track day. For me I just accepted that I wasn't going to be a front runner, and I've found racing to simply be a TON more fun than track days. I love camping out at the track with my friends/WMRRA family. I'm not trying to break any lap records, and I'm consciously trying to make sure I make small incremental improvements. But I can also say that even with that, riding with other faster people presents many opportunities to learn how to be faster yourself.

As for which bike, that is a tough question. As Phil said, the Novice class is primarily 600-1000cc bikes. It isn't about winning...it's about learning how to race safely with others. Wes and Steve B were two of the fastest guys in the class last year, and they were both on 600's. Many people will also tell you that if you want to learn to go fast, you should start racing on a SV650. Most people don't listen to that advice (myself included), but it is true. With a SV, as a novice rider you can start racing in the 650 twin class instead of the Novice class. You will learn a ton from them. Also, because the bike isn't super powerful you will learn a great deal about trail braking and keeping your momentum through corners. This past year several people also did their novice racing in the Ninja 250 classes, and they seemed to like that quite a bit. Although it may be a wash between the price of racing a Ninja 250R and a SV650 for a year. I think the primary downside to racing as a novice with a 125 is that you probably won't have anyone to race with. In the Novice class you will probably always have someone to race with. This helps you learn, and pushes your abilities on the bike too.

While a novice you will get to participate in two races per weekend (one each day). You will also get to have two practice sessions on Saturday, and one on Sunday. As a novice I got about as much track time on a weekend of racing as I did in a single track day. Once you have an expert license you can sign up for more classes, but if track time is what you're after then track days will always rule. A track day is usually cheaper too.

Welcome to the group. It's a great community to be part of. Ask all the questions you like here on the forum. The 2013 rule book will probably be posted in the near future, but you can read through the 2012 book as much of it is likely similar. There are some things you'll have to do to prep your bike that you probably haven't done for track days (unless you've been riding a race-prepped bike already).
    -Dan
    Dan Cordon (Danimal)
    WMRRA #31
    Mac's Cycle - My favorite motorcycle shop
    Woodcraft CFM - Awesome racing bits
    Armour Bodies - Great track bodywork

As another canadian considering racing with wmrra, can some please break down the cost for the nrs and fees for novice race day. Any chance there is a nrs schedule yet? Much appreciated ross

Hey Mike, I'm also in Victoria and have raced with WMRRA the past 3 years. Feel free to give me a shout on my cell if you like and if you wanna pop by my place for a beer we can go over any general questions you might have.

Same goes for you Ross!

(250) eight eight four - 1973

Lionel

BTW - PSCook's analogy was pretty accurate, or so I'm told anyways!

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay, busy with the Christmas holidays. Thanks a lot for the advice Dan. Some good pointers there. Thinking about the idea of the sv or 250 classes. Probably a good place to start. Lionel thanks for the reply, I will give you a call to pick your brain or stop by sometime. I have read the rule book and I think I'll give it a read again. If I have any more questions I'll give a post.

Thanks again everyone. Mike

Hi Mike.. Lionel was my mentor last year and I ran half a season as a novice, and hope to return in 2013 for another few rounds... PM or call me if you need anything as well..

Joe

(250) Five ate ate 5oo5
    WMRRA Novice - #807
    Sponsored by:
    theSIGNpad
    Savage Cycles
    KFG Racing

Novice Race License is $225 which includes the Classroom WMRRA NRC
    On track WMRRA NRS with 2Fast is $299 and with Sullivan is $289 I believe.

Application forms for race licenses are on the website here:
    http://www.wmrra.com/registration.html

We welcome you and be sure and hit me up here or on email with specific questions:
    novice dot rep at wmrra.com

Thanks for all the help, support and friendliness. Looking forward to the season. I just picked up my track bike on the 31. Pretty stoked about that. An 07 gsxr 600. Trying to get stuff organized now bit by bit. We're is a good place to find a descent price for a transponder. I've been looking but haven't found one yet. Going to send in my registration papers tomorrow for the in class session. I've done the on track one in 2012. Do I have to bring that with me to the in class session to show that I have done it. Well that's it for now. Thanks

moderation in moderation
    "bull fighting,mountain climbing and moto racing are the only true sports, all the rest are merely games." stolen quote
    WmrrA # 888