PDA

View Full Version : Triple Tree issue! HELP!

Motophotog
11-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Hey guys. I have a question. I'm replacing a top or upper triple section, because I had to buy a wider one for wider forks. I'm wondering, how do I get the triple off and disconnected to the damn key tumbler assembly???? Its a Yamaha R6, and I have the triple flipped over (wires and key tumbler still installed) and i see two "headless" bolts.... I dremmeled a flat spot so i coudl have at it with a flat screw driver, but nope, that puppy is IN there. I know they're threaded because if you look under the front of the frame, there are threads where it leads too. SO my question is...... is there any trick? Or is it just dremmel the whole damn thing off, and hope it comes off, ruining the perfect other triple its attached too?

I hope this is understandabe. Thanks guys, i could really use some help. Running out of time before we leave for california.:confused:

Mr Sunshine
11-06-2007, 07:21 AM
"headless bolts"?

I'm sorry I don't know the R6. With Suzuki there are two "security" torx bolts which are torx bolts with a little pin in the center. I know it took some effort with the wrench to break those free. So I wouldn't think a screw driver would work at all.

Motophotog
11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Maybe I will take a picture. They are a dome shape, so that they would not be easy to take off. I'm thinking they are the security type bolts where they spin them on and from the factory, at a certain torque spec, they snap off and for them, its complete.

Theres gotta be some yamaha guys or anyone who has run into this same problem?

dakh
11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
i did that on a '99 R6. Dremeled a slit and screwed them out. AFAIR I had to get a really good big-ass flat screwedriver bit with 1/2" attachment and used a big t-handle to break them loose. AFAIR they're lock-tited. Had to dremel slits right trough the bracket too to make nice slits in the blind heads.

Mr Sunshine
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
An impact gun with a common screw driver bit would be the ticket then.

Motophotog
11-06-2007, 04:13 PM
i did that on a '99 R6. Dremeled a slit and screwed them out. AFAIR I had to get a really good big-ass flat screwedriver bit with 1/2" attachment and used a big t-handle to break them loose. AFAIR they're lock-tited. Had to dremel slits right trough the bracket too to make nice slits in the blind heads.

Hey Dakh, I dremeled a flat spot in the head, all the way and i had a friend hold the triple as I used two hands to spin it, I was twisting so hard, it was actually bending the screwdriver... man this really sucks.

dakh
11-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey Dakh, I dremeled a flat spot in the head, all the way and i had a friend hold the triple as I used two hands to spin it, I was twisting so hard, it was actually bending the screwdriver... man this really sucks.

If you still have old forks on the bike, might try just putting the triple upside down on it to provide a more stable base.

My recollectoin is, no way you'd be able to get that thing to move with just a screwdriver. You need more serious machinery. Stop by Tool Town or maybe Sears and find the biggest flat bit that'll fit that can be connected to a breaker bar or a t-handle.

dakh
11-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Heating the bracket up may help too.

Motophotog
11-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Heating the bracket up may help too.

This was the next stop! I will try a lil heat with the T handle. Thx for the tips man, appreciated. Of coarse, if anyone else wants to chime in, im all ears.

chunke1
11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Had to do the same thing and couldn't get the damn screws to turn no matter what. Ended up using a drill bit just big enough to remove the screw heads down to the ignition, slid right off.....

dakh
11-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Had to do the same thing and couldn't get the damn screws to turn no matter what. Ended up using a drill bit just big enough to remove the screw heads down to the ignition, slid right off.....

Well, AFAIR even if you do that you're still up against blind heads on the part that holds the lock cylinder. Those screw out easily though.

chunke1
11-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Well, AFAIR even if you do that you're still up against blind heads on the part that holds the lock cylinder. Those screw out easily though.

True, but why would you remove that part? If he's only replacing the top triple, no need to take apart the entire ignition.

dakh
11-07-2007, 02:10 PM
True, but why would you remove that part? If he's only replacing the top triple, no need to take apart the entire ignition.

Well, yeah. Strictly speaking, for the track the whole thing is not needed. Unless Mr. S. notices and then you'll be quickly sent a quote from the rulebook.

I was plotting a plan to avoid drilling out what's left from those bolts, but now that I think again it's probably easier to just do that.

Mr Sunshine
11-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Well, yeah. Strictly speaking, for the track the whole thing is not needed. Unless Mr. S. notices and then you'll be quickly sent a quote from the rulebook.

The rules exist for a reason...why not just follow them? :angry3:

Motophotog
11-07-2007, 05:00 PM
I didnt catch the inside joke, are you saying we have to have a keyed ignition? I'm ready to just be done with it otherwise. I'd just hack it off if i could.

I havent gotten the free time to go and check that method btw. Still workin.

dakh
11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
I didnt catch the inside joke, are you saying we have to have a keyed ignition? I'm ready to just be done with it otherwise. I'd just hack it off if i could.

I havent gotten the free time to go and check that method btw. Still workin.

Time for you to ask Chris if removing ignition is SS-legal :)

Mr Sunshine
11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
The inside joke is Dakh keeps saying to do XYZ when it is not SS legal to do XYZ. He isn't able to come to grips with the following statement in the rule book about Supersport rules.

SECTION P - Supersport Regulations
Note: If the rulebook does not specifically allow the modification, then it is not allowed.

So if you look at that section you'll see that removing the ignition on your bike isn't listed as something you can do...thus you can't do it..legally.

But if Irecall correctly aren't you running Novice next year? If so...anything goes so long as it meets the basic safety requirements.

Motophotog
11-07-2007, 06:19 PM
"As I recall" :bash::pokestick: You know that....

Yep, i'll do it the right way. You know how it is... something wont work, so you just want to say... "ok you wont go, well i'll cut it off." haha :banana:

ricksr6
11-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Just grind the head of the bolts completely off, slide the ignition out of the triple clamp and then use a vise grip to take the bolts out. You can't reuse the bolts anyway!!

astanton
11-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Use a torch to heat up the bolts. That will break down the Loctite. From there you should be able to get it out with a large screwdriver. I did the same thing with my GSXR.

Motophotog
11-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try the heat first. Since that sounds easier. Rick for sure. I just didnt wanan go hacking at a perfectly good triple clamp if I didnt need too.

ricksr6
11-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try the heat first. Since that sounds easier. Rick for sure. I just didnt wanan go hacking at a perfectly good triple clamp if I didnt need too.

You never have to hit the triple clamp or the ignition use a 1/2 inch drill bit and just drill them out till the head pops off then the ignition will fall right off and you can use a vise grip to spin out the rest of the bolt. Then just get yourself a few allen head bolts to bolt it back on.

Motophotog
11-11-2007, 01:31 PM
You never have to hit the triple clamp or the ignition use a 1/2 inch drill bit and just drill them out till the head pops off then the ignition will fall right off and you can use a vise grip to spin out the rest of the bolt. Then just get yourself a few allen head bolts to bolt it back on.

oh my lord... I wish I would have read this post :confused: this is EXACTLY what we did. I wanted to post up in case any other yamaha owners were not sure. If you flip the triple over, there will be two dome shaped hardened (that greenish brown colored bolt) bolts, if you do as rick said, drill them out with a smaller drill bit (pilot), only the head, so like 1/2" or so, and then finish it up, you'll see when you're through it, and at that point use a fine tipped screwdriver and just lift the rim of the bolt off, (at this point it just looks like a funky washer), and as rick said, it just falls right out. Once its out, use vice grips, large if you have them, clamp very very hard on the old threads, and you CAN get the old bolt threads right out. In no way would a screwdriver ever work.

thanks everyone for the help. I hope this can help someone else.