PDA

View Full Version : D-clip tunes

Ken Holme
09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Can someone out there put this to music ????

I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.....La La La
Baby, sometimes I'm such a little frigg'n live wire
With a joy that's hard to hide
Ya know, sometimes it seems that all I have do is make Troy worry
Then you're bound to see my other side
But I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good oh ya.....Bla Bla Bla
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
If I seem edgy and bent I want you to know
That I never mean to take it out on you
Racing has it's problems and Homie gets his share
And that's one thing I never meant to do
I know I'm an ugley lil fella, Oh but I love you Troy
Oh, Oh baby don't you know I'm a little kick ass D-clip
Have thoughts like any other one
Sometimes I find myself long regretting being used
Wud I do so wrong...wud I need to do to get along
Some foolish thing some little simple thing I've done to Troy
But I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let the D-clip be misunderstood
Cause, I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let Homie be misunderstood
Yes, I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good

Please and thank you, Homie

blacktieracing
09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Ok, that's funny right there. I don't care who you are!

Diane
(BTW, I've stopped reading)

Lauralynne
09-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Can someone out there put this to music ????

I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.....La La La
Baby, sometimes I'm such a little frigg'n live wire
With a joy that's hard to hide
Ya know, sometimes it seems that all I have do is make Troy worry
Then you're bound to see my other side
But I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good oh ya.....Bla Bla Bla
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
If I seem edgy and bent I want you to know
That I never mean to take it out on you
Racing has it's problems and Homie gets his share
And that's one thing I never meant to do
I know I'm an ugley lil fella, Oh but I love you Troy
Oh, Oh baby don't you know I'm a little kick ass D-clip
Have thoughts like any other one
Sometimes I find myself long regretting being used
Wud I do so wrong...wud I need to do to get along
Some foolish thing some little simple thing I've done to Troy
But I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let the D-clip be misunderstood
Cause, I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good
Yes, I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good

Please and thank you, Homie

HOMIE FOR PRESIDENT!!

Mr Sunshine
09-25-2006, 04:15 PM
So where's the rule proposal this year for d-clips? :)

Ken Holme
09-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Please, Please and pretty please.....EVERYONE put in a rule change in for the use of D-clips.......
Don't use facts though.....it doesn't seem to work......
I'm currently using MUSIC to butter up the beast.....but don't say nuth'en K

Lauralynne
09-25-2006, 04:27 PM

A-MEN!

Mr Sunshine
09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Please, Please and pretty please.....EVERYONE put in a rule change in for the use of D-clips.......
I'm currently using MUSIC to butter up the beast.....but don't say nuth'en K

But it doesn't help me. My bike doesn't use a cotter pin to retain the nut on the rear axle. If I was to use a d-clip I would have to drill out the nut too much for it to be safe.

:P

Lauralynne
09-25-2006, 04:59 PM
But it doesn't help me. My bike doesn't use a cotter pin to retain the nut on the rear axle. If I was to use a d-clip I would have to drill out the nut too much for it to be safe.

:P

see - you're still trying to use facts! Just sing along with Homie...

Mr Sunshine
09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
see - you're still trying to use facts! Just sing along with Homie...

But why would I want a rule which does not favor me but favors my competators?

09-25-2006, 05:25 PM
F'n WAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Still crying Ken?
Wow. I'm impressed, still.

Troy341

Lauralynne
09-25-2006, 05:25 PM
But why would I want a rule which does not favor me but favors my competators?
LALALALALALAlalalalalala...lalalalala

sing!

;)

pappawheelie
09-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Ken, I'm gonna propose a rule that would require you to play the d-clip song live during lunch break every race.

Ken Holme
09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Ah common girl friend (er Troy)....Give it up for the love.....Can't a fella have some fun

09-26-2006, 10:32 PM
It was fun for about a week, 2 years ago. It was annoying a year ago. Now it is sad seeing how this is all you have. Troy

Ken Holme
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Troy,
Let me start by saying that I like you and you did a great job for WMRRA......
I have and always will greet you with a good morning and a smile.
But dude, you started all this D-clip crap.......
2 years ago. You came up with the most BULL FUC*** shit rule against D-clips I have ever witnessed....
I put together many many many facts in document form in the positive use of D-clips and poured over rule books to find that AMA, CMRA, CRA, OMRRA, WERA, CCS and ect don't have a problem with 'em and all you said was SO.
I asked has there ever been a problem....you said "don't care" (Oh baby trust me, I know if there ever was a problem you'd be hanging your hat on that)
I believe....there is more of an issue with un-tied shoes in the pit than using D-clips.
A year ago you were able to keep it going and I politely asked Joel for your facts on the ban....Funny ! Joel didn't return my request on the board's decision process in which you were a part of.
Now please tell me why I shouldn't rib the guy who has a personal hard on against D-clips. All ya got to do is give us your facts ????.......no body else knows 'em.
So with that....I'll be bringing this up until a wrong is made right whether it be in humor, facts, soliciting votes or singing.
To all.....As I write this I'm in a good mood, happy even half giddy.......so please .......don't think I'm mad...I will never be mean spirted against Troy.

Lauralynne
09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Ken, I'm gonna propose a rule that would require you to play the d-clip song live during lunch break every race.

and Troy playing the bongos for ya!

Mr Sunshine
09-27-2006, 12:24 PM
So Ken are you submitting a rule change this year. You know the people in charge ahve changed.

Ken Holme
09-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Yes I will put in for the rule change again this year for the next year rule book and hope for facts over emotion.
But ya know....politics is a funny thing.....and I'm on the outside looking in.....Hey I'm think'n maybe some golden person who everyone loves could possibly submit it ??????
Bobby where F are you bro....

pappawheelie
09-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey Ken, I'll sing along with you. I play a mean air guitar too.

Do do DE do! OH oh De oh! Boo Bob de doo!

Thats the way I roll , Ya ya!

Oh, and for the the guys in the last couple of years that left their calipers loose and free of safety wire,after tech, this ones for you. Boo bo pe pooo!

09-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Seems that everyone that doesn't get their way thinks that there is a "good ole boy" conspiracy. You submitted the rule again last year to re-allow d-clips. You were then thoughtful enough to provide me with a larger than life example of why d-clips were banned. Remember that trophy that I had to politely accept? Your supersport rep argued your case and even voted with you. The majority didn't agree with your arguement. I presented my reasons to them using your visual aid, and the majority voted with me. You are all pissy 'cause the arguement that you thought was so great didn't sway the rules committee. I really couldn't care less whether you agree with me or not. I've at least been polite and reasonable. I've presented my reasons for why I think that the rule is a good one, but you aren't interested enough in anyone else's opinion or experience for me to keep repeating them. If you want the rule changed because you are inconvenienced, then change the fucking rule if you can get enough support, I really don't give 2 shits whether you use the d-clips or not. There are some that it matters to me whether they use them but after 2 years of listening to your incessant whining, you aren't one of them. If I sound pissy, good catch. I am sick of having to defend myself against your continuing idiotic rants. If you can get the rule changed, fine do it, but do you see me dancing and pointing my finger at you? "Ha ha, didn't get the rule changed two years in a row! Lets all sing like dumbasses!" I have been polite for 2 years. Now I start to point my finger and laugh at the moron. Troy

Ken Holme
09-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Wew...the good 'ol boys used the toilet paper holder (visual aid) that I made you to base their vote on.....Holy mutha....That visual aid was to show the world how NOT to use D-clips as a gag joke. It's other main purpose was so you would a have a cool TP holder and remember your good 'ol buddy Homie by when you were punch'n loaf. .....
I plan to perform the correct processes again per the rule book....I know the way it works, bring up subjects that I want to try and change .....Soooo, I'm just starting my campaign with music.
la la la......I'm just a D-clip whose intentions are good..... la la la
Signed,
Polite but Incessant Whiner Homie

Mr Sunshine
09-27-2006, 10:38 PM
So Holme....as a new racer why would I want to use a d-clip over safety wire and can I use a d-clip on any bike?

Ken Holme
09-27-2006, 11:02 PM
There are many reasons to use D-clips on any bike and D-clips used properly can:
1) Increase safety by D-cliping bolts on heavily used components.
2) Increase convience by D-cliping components such as the radiator cap...ect.
3) Increase safety by D-cliping bolts fast in a time crunch (such as rain tires)
4) When you get into a groove in the pits.....they really work great and you will never forget to D-clip up
There are many more reasons Oh ya how about less frigg'n saftey wire in your tires due to all those little cut pieces in the pits all laying around.
The convience factor is not evil it's better.

Mr Sunshine
09-28-2006, 08:02 AM
1) Increase safety by D-cliping bolts on heavily used components.

I don't understand this statement. Can you please explain it more? How is it safer and what are you replacing with the d-clip in this case?

Steve
09-28-2006, 08:29 AM
Guess I'll be changing these before the October race weekend (assumming these are d-clips everyone is referring to here)...But I agree with Ken, these seem like a pretty slick idea that saves time etc and wouldn't appear to sacrafice safety.

Mr Sunshine
09-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Guess I'll be changing these before the October race weekend (assumming these are d-clips everyone is referring to here)...But I agree with Ken, these seem like a pretty slick idea that saves time etc and wouldn't appear to sacrafice safety.

Well....you know safety wire will only bend so many times before it breaks.

With the D-Clip setup that is on the brake caliper that piece of safety wire between the two clips might get bent multiple times. Who knows now strong the safety wire is now. So when one of those bolts starts to back out and tug at the safety wire, will that wire hold?

When you use new safety wire each time you know that the safety wire has not gone through those extra bends so it won't have that particular problem.

:D

piper907
09-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks for that... professor D-Clip :p

Steve
09-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Seems if they are good enough for AMA, Wera etc, they should be good enough for Wmrra. But hey, I don't really care. I just think they're cool cause the bike I bought came with them. :D

And it would be nice not to have to re-safety wire everytime I do a tire change.

piper907
09-28-2006, 10:20 AM
it would be nice not to have to re-safety wire everytime I do a tire change.
+1 yes it would.

geddyt
09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Well....you know safety wire will only bend so many times before it breaks.

With the D-Clip setup that is on the brake caliper that piece of safety wire between the two clips might get bent multiple times. Who knows now strong the safety wire is now. So when one of those bolts starts to back out and tug at the safety wire, will that wire hold?

When you use new safety wire each time you know that the safety wire has not gone through those extra bends so it won't have that particular problem.

:D

How about connecting the two D-clips with a zip tie? Sounds ghetto, but I bet it's less likely to break than safety wire because it's less brittle and you'd have to cut it and replace it every wheel change, so it wouldn't have a chance to get old and brittle like you mentioned.

Mr Sunshine
09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
+1 yes it would.

Then don't. You only get checked during inspections so you could always gamble and just not safety wire.

piper907
09-28-2006, 12:13 PM
You only get checked during inspections so you could always gamble and just not safety wire.REALLY???

I never said ANYTHING about NOT safety wiring.
In my opinion, D-Clips are as safe as safety wire and more efficient.
BUT... If they become allowed once again, as they should, feel free to NOT use them (since safety wire is sooo much more safe)

mygrassisblu
09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I have used 90lb. 7 strand Steel nylon coated cable. Very flexible. Will not break like safety wire. Easy to unclip and you will not forget to put it back on. On the brakes and rear axel I added a spring over the wire for protection. This is illegal? :confused: REALLY???? :confused: Why is this less safe?

Lauralynne
09-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I have used 90lb. 7 strand Steel nylon coated cable. Very flexable. Will not break like safety wire. Easy to unclip and you will not forget to put it back on. This is illegal? :confused: REALLY???? :confused:
since you can only get it around the d-clips and not through the bolt, I'm going to gamble and say yes, it's illegal. But - as usual - check the rulebook

Homie - I feel your pain man - I can't sing but lemme know if I can help otherwise :):):)

Ken Holme
09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Please go to the following address for my official (4) part D-Clip series that I did in '05.........
www.ed-e.biz
Then click on "homie racing"

Mr Sunshine
09-28-2006, 05:35 PM
REALLY???

I never said ANYTHING about NOT safety wiring.
In my opinion, D-Clips are as safe as safety wire and more efficient.
BUT... If they become allowed once again, as they should, feel free to NOT use them (since safety wire is sooo much more safe)

You were the one annoyed with having to rewire after each wheel change. I just gave you an option.

D-Clips or not I'll just stick with safety wire for awhile.

Mr Sunshine
09-28-2006, 05:38 PM
I was just looking at the d-clip setup and I can see how they can become undone when a bolt loosens up. Not saying that it's very likely due to the bolt having to bend the clip but possible neverless.

mygrassisblu
09-29-2006, 08:35 PM
I was just looking at the d-clip setup and I can see how they can become undone when a bolt loosens up. Not saying that it's very likely due to the bolt having to bend the clip but possible neverless.

So you think a brake caliper bolt is going to turn with so much force it bends the clip and falls out? Or some how a pinch bolt will bend the clip and then my axel will do the same leaving me with out a front wheel? I think the odds of a D clip failure and you finding something better to do with your time about the same. ;)

Mr Sunshine
09-29-2006, 09:50 PM
So you think a brake caliper bolt is going to turn with so much force it bends the clip and falls out? Or some how a pinch bolt will bend the clip and then my axel will do the same leaving me with out a front wheel? I think the odds of a D clip failure and you finding something better to do with your time about the same. ;)

Jesus H. Christ.

Will you please read my second sentence. I said I can see how it could happen but I didn't think it would be likely due to the bolt having to bend the clip.

This means I don't think it'll happen under any sort of normal circumstance.

Mr Sunshine
09-29-2006, 09:59 PM
The other thing about d-clips is they don't help you verify that the bolt was torqued. when you put on safety wire you are pulling on the bolt in the loosinging direction. If the bolt isn't torqued down the bolt would turn, you would see it, hopefully fix and then continue.

With D-Clips you don't have this. if the bolt is within half a turn from its configured setup then you don't pull on the bolt and cause it to move if the bolt isnt torqued all the way down.

Another problem with d-clips is that there is no way for tech to verify that the length of safety wire you provided between the two anchoring points is short enough to prevent the bolt from spinning due to the extra length the d-clip has.

So I can see a couple of likely possible reasons why d-clips aren't good as it is more than to prevent your bolts from backing out but also the procedure of safety wiring your bolts.

Oh and what's wrong with thinking about serious issues like this in my spare time?

pscook
09-29-2006, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=Thatman]The other thing about d-clips is they don't help you verify that the bolt was torqued. when you put on safety wire you are pulling on the bolt in the loosinging direction. If the bolt isn't torqued down the bolt would turn, you would see it, hopefully fix and then continue. [QUOTE=Thatman]

In all of my years of installing safety wire on airframes and in the marine environment, the only people that pulled safety wire in the direction of loosening the bolt were doing it wrong. Safety wire is an indicator that is used to see if a bolt has loosened up, not an item to be used to hold a bolt in place. It is also installed in such a fashion as to replicate the tightening motion that was used to install the bolt, to verify that the bolt has remained in the original torqued position.
IMHO, I believe that d-clips provide the same level of safety that wire does. It is very easy to damage the wire during installation, and not see the damage. D-clips are pretty simple to install, but so is safety wire.
When I install safety wire, it is a nice relaxing time for me, I get to relax, focus on the task at hand, and just enjoy the moment of putting my bike back together. A moment of closure, if you will.
Where's the romance in d-clips? It reminds me of instant coffee, microwave popcorn, screw top wine bottles, and Papa Murphy's pizza. There's no satisfaction for a job well done, a moment in the sun for the true craftsman, an appreciation for the finer things.
A sunny day, a newborn kitten, a well turned piece of safety wire.
Rainbows and lollipops for everyone!

Mr Sunshine
09-29-2006, 11:39 PM
The other thing about d-clips is they don't help you verify that the bolt was torqued. when you put on safety wire you are pulling on the bolt in the loosinging direction. If the bolt isn't torqued down the bolt would turn, you would see it, hopefully fix and then continue.

In all of my years of installing safety wire on airframes and in the marine environment, the only people that pulled safety wire in the direction of loosening the bolt were doing it wrong.

Yeah I realized my mistake and went back and edited my statement almost right away. You just caught it before that edit. :)

Safety wire is an indicator that is used to see if a bolt has loosened up, not an item to be used to hold a bolt in place. It is also installed in such a fashion as to replicate the tightening motion that was used to install the bolt, to verify that the bolt has remained in the original torqued position.
IMHO, I believe that d-clips provide the same level of safety that wire does. It is very easy to damage the wire during installation, and not see the damage. D-clips are pretty simple to install, but so is safety wire.
When I install safety wire, it is a nice relaxing time for me, I get to relax, focus on the task at hand, and just enjoy the moment of putting my bike back together. A moment of closure, if you will.

I know you have more experience than me on safety wire but I disagree that safety wire is an indicator that is used to see if a bolt has loosened up. It is there to help prevent the bolt from loosing. We could just use locktite and be done with it.

As with both safety wire and d-clips they both could be done wrong...but in the case of safety wire it doesn't look ok when its not ok. :)

Steve
09-30-2006, 07:36 AM
I will still go with the fact that if D-Clips are good enough for AMA, they should be good enough for WMRRA. Case closed.

timk
09-30-2006, 08:37 AM
WMRRA does not race by the AMA rulebook -- it races by the WMRRA rulebook. So as long as the WMRRA rulebook says they are not legal, they are not legal in WMRRA. AMA rules are irrelevant. Case closed.

If you want to re-open the case, propose a rule change. :p

Steve
09-30-2006, 09:14 AM
WMRRA does not race by the AMA rulebook -- it races by the WMRRA rulebook. So as long as the WMRRA rulebook says they are not legal, they are not legal in WMRRA. AMA rules are irrelevant. Case closed.

If you want to re-open the case, propose a rule change. :p

Not saying WMRRA races by the AMA rule book. Just saying if it's good enough for AMA, it should be good enough for WMRRA. Sheesh....

timk
09-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Sheesh yourself. You were the one to be so presumptuous as to proclaim "case closed" when it clearly is not, and you also managed to label as a "fact" the statement that "if D-Clips are good enough for AMA, they should be good enough for WMRRA". That is not a fact.

And just to drag this out a little more, if they are indeed legal in the AMA it is a fairly recent rule change. I remember Kory Gill coming back from his first AMA races several years ago, when d-clips were legal in WMRRA and he had then on his bike, describing the AMA tech inspector getting all obnoxious with "no clips! no clips!" and failing him for using them.

Mr Sunshine
09-30-2006, 01:11 PM
I will still go with the fact that if D-Clips are good enough for AMA, they should be good enough for WMRRA. Case closed.

I just scanned the AMA Road Racing rule book and I see zero mention that d-clips are allowed. I also don't see any mention that d-clips are allowed.

What I do see is statements that certain parts have to be safety wired. Those parts are:

E.16.a
All drain plugs and filler caps (except radiator and fuel caps) must be safety-wired.

E.16.b
Oil filter bolts must be secured with safety wire. Oil filter cans must be secured with metal clamps and safety wire or arranged so the clamp cannot turn.

E.16.e
Oil lines containing positive pressure, if altered, must be of steel braied construction with properly attached end fittings (crimped OEM type of threaded aircraft type). Hose clamps, tie-wrpas or safety wire are unacceptable for this application.

That's all the places "safety wire" comes up. Now if you will notice there is no talk about having to safety wire the brake caliper retention bolts or the axle crimp bolts, or axle nuts. So with that "Its good enough for AMA its good enough for WMRRA" we really don't need to worry about safety wiring anything that is removed on a wheel change.

Steve
09-30-2006, 01:26 PM
I really don't care anymore. I just thought it was fun to debate this. :D

Mr Sunshine
09-30-2006, 04:12 PM
I really don't care anymore. I just thought it was fun to debate this. :D

Giving up on it now? Come on...there is so much more to talk about. :p

mygrassisblu
10-01-2006, 08:21 AM

Get to the track on Fri. Cut wire, tire swap, rewire. Get to the track on Sat cut wire, swap, rewire. Practice. Cut, swap, rewire. Not having to get out the wire and cutters after I have changed tires, put on warmer, cleaned visor, added gas, bathroom break, and adjusted ride height, gives me a little more time to relax. Itís not that big of a deal, but the less time I have to spend bent over in the pits the better. How many people fail to rewire buring the afternoon, I am a little pressed for time and a bit tired, swap? I know its not right but it happens. Sorry thatman. Just wonder how you get any sleep with all the issues you worry about. :D

csbextreem
10-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Sorry thatman. Just wonder how you get any sleep with all the issues you worry about. :D

He's got nothing else to do but argue about shit on forums... :p

Mr Sunshine
10-01-2006, 04:28 PM
He's got nothing else to do but argue about shit on forums... :p

If was just a simple internet forum where I didn't see any of you guys then I could understand that statement but this forum is one outlet to speak to the members of WMRRA. These discussions are extremely important to the future and continual success of this club.

I don't know how you don't give a shit and call yourself member of this club. Get involved. Get your hands dirty. Get out there and do something productive beause calling me names doesn't get anything accomplished.

Mr Sunshine
10-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Get to the track on Fri. Cut wire, tire swap, rewire. Get to the track on Sat cut wire, swap, rewire. Practice. Cut, swap, rewire. Not having to get out the wire and cutters after I have changed tires, put on warmer, cleaned visor, added gas, bathroom break, and adjusted ride height, gives me a little more time to relax. Itís not that big of a deal, but the less time I have to spend bent over in the pits the better. How many people fail to rewire buring the afternoon, I am a little pressed for time and a bit tired, swap? I know its not right but it happens. Sorry thatman. Just wonder how you get any sleep with all the issues you worry about. :D

Man you sure fiddle with your bike alot. You should have run these track long enough to know the exact setup that you need.

csbextreem
10-01-2006, 06:43 PM
. Get your hands dirty. Get out there and do something productive beause calling me names doesn't get anything accomplished.

I am.... In the garage, and I never called you any names.

I just notice that you have 700 some odd posts, on any and all threads, and your just about the "youngest" active member on the forums, I just wonder how you spend your days at work, at home, in the garage etc. It just seems as though you spend every waking hour on the internet surfing for the next greatest fact and tidbit to quote or comment on... I will get involved when it matters.

That's my $.02

Mr Sunshine
10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I am.... In the garage, and I never called you any names.

I just notice that you have 700 some odd posts, on any and all threads, and your just about the "youngest" active member on the forums, I just wonder how you spend your days at work, at home, in the garage etc. It just seems as though you spend every waking hour on the internet surfing for the next greatest fact and tidbit to quote or comment on... I will get involved when it matters.

That's my $.02

He's got nothing else to do but argue about shit on forums...

you are right you didn't call me a name. but you did insult me.

I can't see how a rule change doesn't matter when it affects everyone in the club and is a safety issue.

csbextreem
10-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't veiw D-clips as a saftey issue... That's why I am not getting involvled in an issue that seems fruitless to me.

OPPINIONS OPPPINIONS OPPI N OINS...blhaaaaaaa blhaaaaaaaa blhaaaaaaa

csbextreem
10-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Btw... Get Over It

I know..... I know... I can be a real asshole sometimes. :D

Ex Presidente
10-02-2006, 03:53 PM
If you really want your voice heard than contact your rider rep since they will be YOUR voice at the rules committee meeting.