PDA

View Full Version : dunlop gps on zx6r

Jafar
08-24-2006, 11:25 PM
the sportmax gp's tore up the back of my fender on my 05zx6r. how do you guys modify the fender for clearance?

tjones23
08-25-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm assuming you are using either a 180/55 or 190/55. Based on what I've encountered when moving to an 190/55, if you have room in the swingarm, I think the thing to do is to get a new chain that is a couple links longer to pull the wheel back providing more clearance. I use michelin and I've got about 1/2 inch of clearance on my '04 R1 and it rubs the rear fender a bit but nothing real bad. I am actually looking forward to the increase in wheelbase in addition to the clearance as in addition increasing the distance from the rear axle to the front sprocket, I'm gearing it down some, so its an easy decision for me. If you've already droped some money on chain and sprockets or you don't really have anywhere left to go in the swingarm, I'm don't have anything for 'ya. As I've heard the Dunlops 'grow' a fair bit more requiring more like an inch -- but I'm sure someone else can/will correct that if I'm wrong.

Good luck,

tim

Jafar
08-28-2006, 08:12 PM
sorry, this happened to the back of my front fender. the front tire is taller than the oem and street tires, apparently. either that or they heat up more and expand more.

the back of my front fender basically melted and tore away... i guess ill go in and cut more off so it stops making contact...

I'm assuming you are using either a 180/55 or 190/55. Based on what I've encountered when moving to an 190/55, if you have room in the swingarm, I think the thing to do is to get a new chain that is a couple links longer to pull the wheel back providing more clearance. I use michelin and I've got about 1/2 inch of clearance on my '04 R1 and it rubs the rear fender a bit but nothing real bad. I am actually looking forward to the increase in wheelbase in addition to the clearance as in addition increasing the distance from the rear axle to the front sprocket, I'm gearing it down some, so its an easy decision for me. If you've already droped some money on chain and sprockets or you don't really have anywhere left to go in the swingarm, I'm don't have anything for 'ya. As I've heard the Dunlops 'grow' a fair bit more requiring more like an inch -- but I'm sure someone else can/will correct that if I'm wrong.

Good luck,

tim