PDA

View Full Version : Alaska racing

whtnxt?
08-19-2006, 03:21 AM
I've been informed that a job change to Anchorage, AK is in my future, just dont know when. Anyone know of RR up there or in nearby Canada?

Dave Grant
#843 :confused:

tjones23
08-19-2006, 08:07 AM
I've been informed that a job change to Anchorage, AK is in my future, just dont know when. Anyone know of RR up there or in nearby Canada?

Dave Grant
#843 :confused:

Sorry man, grew up in Fairbanks. From June -> August we'd go out to Tanacross (just west of Tok), set up cones on a very old WWII airfield and have a great time. Actually the parties we'd have are a notch or two above Saturday nights in Spokane :) That's about it. There was talk about adding a road course to a drag strip in Palmer I think, however I don't think that's gone anywhere. Dirt riding and drag racing have a few more options.

Google for tanacross motorcycle...

Have fun!

tarheel
08-19-2006, 08:20 AM
The Palmer track fell victim to the tree huggers! Environmental impact study showed a "possible" danger to some type of insect and grass! The tanacross in Tok is pretty cool. When I was there, 1995-1998, it was Time Trial only. No organized racing. Could have changed, that was nearly 10 years ago. Surprisingly, the Sportbike scene there is Huge! Lots of bikes, cruising used to go on with huge groups of bikes. Alaska has more motorcycles per capita than any other state. Anchorage is nice. Long dark winter but summer is awesome, 1am rides and it is still light out!!

When you get there just pop into any of the dealerships and they will know all about Tok.

tjones23
08-19-2006, 08:49 AM
The Palmer track fell victim to the tree huggers! Environmental impact study showed a "possible" danger to some type of insect and grass! The tanacross in Tok is pretty cool. When I was there, 1995-1998, it was Time Trial only. No organized racing. Could have changed, that was nearly 10 years ago. Surprisingly, the Sportbike scene there is Huge! Lots of bikes, cruising used to go on with huge groups of bikes. Alaska has more motorcycles per capita than any other state. Anchorage is nice. Long dark winter but summer is awesome, 1am rides and it is still light out!!

When you get there just pop into any of the dealerships and they will know all about Tok.

Were you doing Tanacross in '98? I started there that summer. I've known quite a few of the people from Fairbanks who organize and attend for most of my life (went to high school with Craig).

I know they are still a loosly organized group of friends/enthusiasts. See <http://www.midnightsunrider.com/articles2006/tanacross.html for some details. Derek Bloom, one of the guys pictured in that article and another one of those guys who goes way back, but who has unfortunately passed away, used to travel down to Willow Springs in the winter to get his fix. Unfortunately I stopped racing and moved to Spokane the winter he started to do so, so I did not get to enjoy a real race track with him.

++ on the riding and scene there

The guys from Anchorage Suzuki historically have been big supporters, as is Northern PowerSports in Fairbanks. But every moto dealer in Alaska knows something or someone.

tim

piper907
08-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Yea... the Tanacross scene is alright if you like riding over grass patches! I grew up in homer and lived in Anchorage, and girdwood for quite a few years... If you are in to competing, I would suggest a dirtbike. otherwise, there are PLENTY of twisties to get your kicks on... during the 2 months of summer :)

tarheel
08-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Were you doing Tanacross in '98? I started there that summer. I've known quite a few of the people from Fairbanks who organize and attend for most of my life (went to high school with Craig).

I know they are still a loosly organized group of friends/enthusiasts. See <http://www.midnightsunrider.com/articles2006/tanacross.html for some details. Derek Bloom, one of the guys pictured in that article and another one of those guys who goes way back, but who has unfortunately passed away, used to travel down to Willow Springs in the winter to get his fix. Unfortunately I stopped racing and moved to Spokane the winter he started to do so, so I did not get to enjoy a real race track with him.

++ on the riding and scene there

The guys from Anchorage Suzuki historically have been big supporters, as is Northern PowerSports in Fairbanks. But every moto dealer in Alaska knows something or someone.

tim

I left AK in early Spring of 98 so no. I used to hang out with the old guy Ed from Anchorage. Can't remember his last name, but he was a really good mechanic who used to work for Anchorage Honda. He had a trick YZF750R. I know Tanacross sucked but it was all we had. Is Craig the guy from Suzuki? It's been so long since I was there.

tjones23
08-19-2006, 08:38 PM
I left AK in early Spring of 98 so no. I used to hang out with the old guy Ed from Anchorage. Can't remember his last name, but he was a really good mechanic who used to work for Anchorage Honda. He had a trick YZF750R. I know Tanacross sucked but it was all we had. Is Craig the guy from Suzuki? It's been so long since I was there.

I did not know many of the people from Anchorage, except for Aaron Rueger and a couple of mechanics whos names I cannot now remember from Anchorage Suzuki. Craig Hill's family owns Northern PowerSports in Fairbanks. Aaron is probably the one you were thinking of -- a great guy and a total character (as I understand from friends so was his father, Ren). Aaron passed away 4 or 5 years ago from complications with anesthesia. Seems many of the guys from that group passed too early...

I'll try and remember to stop by and chat more the next time we're at the track

tim

whtnxt?
08-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Did the google thing, researched the midnightsunrider.com stuff, pretty cool and sounds interesting. It's been a few years since I last threw a leg over a dirtbike, but always need another toy :)
Thanks for the info and good luck for the season.

Dave

tjones23
08-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Yea... the Tanacross scene is alright if you like riding over grass patches! I grew up in homer and lived in Anchorage, and girdwood for quite a few years... If you are in to competing, I would suggest a dirtbike. otherwise, there are PLENTY of twisties to get your kicks on... during the 2 months of summer :)

More of us, eh?

I did not know any better at the time so it was great by me :) It was a unique experience -- just a bunch of like minded people make the most of what they have.

Did the google thing, researched the midnightsunrider.com stuff, pretty cool and sounds interesting. It's been a few years since I last threw a leg over a dirtbike, but always need another toy
Thanks for the info and good luck for the season.

If you are the outdoors type and don't mind a little chill, Alaska will be a great experience. In general the people are great, so just ask around and you'll be set up in no time. The snowmobiling there is probably second to none. Might I suggest to try that or ice climbing, skiing, hockey or what have you for the winter adrenaline fix then use the 3 months at tanacross to get "The Fix" till you can get back to a slightly more proper place.

The Anchorage area is actually quite tolerable. Should you have to go anywhere more remote than say, Fairbanks (Eielson, actually, I presume), then quit if you can ;)

Thanks, have fun and best of luck to you too!

tim

tarheel
08-20-2006, 08:26 AM
I did not know many of the people from Anchorage, except for Aaron Rueger and a couple of mechanics whos names I cannot now remember from Anchorage Suzuki. Craig Hill's family owns Northern PowerSports in Fairbanks. Aaron is probably the one you were thinking of -- a great guy and a total character (as I understand from friends so was his father, Ren). Aaron passed away 4 or 5 years ago from complications with anesthesia. Seems many of the guys from that group passed too early...

I'll try and remember to stop by and chat more the next time we're at the track

tim

Yes, Aaron is who I am thinking of. Passed away! Damn that is aweful. He was a really cool guy who would give a advice and talk to anyone. That really sucks.

Tolovana Trader
11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Was tuned onto this site by Aaron Rueger's step mom, Faith. Myself and several other worked for Ren Rueger, Aaron's Dad, at the Competition Shop in Fairbanks. Cool to watch a kid grow up like he did amongst awesome bikes, Ducati Desmos, Laverda, Guzzi Lemans and the flattrackers (Triumph, BSA,Harleys) we were building there in the 70's and 80's. Ren had a collection of bikes that would have been the envy on any collector on either coast.

tjones23
11-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Was tuned onto this site by Aaron Rueger's step mom, Faith. Myself and several other worked for Ren Rueger, Aaron's Dad, at the Competition Shop in Fairbanks. Cool to watch a kid grow up like he did amongst awesome bikes, Ducati Desmos, Laverda, Guzzi Lemans and the flattrackers (Triumph, BSA,Harleys) we were building there in the 70's and 80's. Ren had a collection of bikes that would have been the envy on any collector on either coast.

Wow the Comp Shop. Right on, a good friend of mine (Victor B.) from back home was good friend of the Reugers. I've heard many, many storys.

I did not know Ren at all and knew Aaron from the couple of summers I spent doing the Tannacross races. I was in Fairbanks for Aaron's wake and realized, however, that there were many, many friends, co-workers, and classmates in common (not hard in a very small town).

It sounds like Ren's collection was quite awesome. I kind of wished that I was tuned into bikes back then, then again I was kind of young.

Timothy Jones

Tolovana Trader
11-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Victor is still living in North pole, far as I know. The old crowd is pretty well spred out. Fred Eaton is having something to do with Nortons and roadracing in Seattle last I heard. The rest are scattered from Arizona to Bay Area, Montana. All still riding. Few of us in Alaska yet. I'm spending my winters putting a 66 Triumph cafe piece together along with maintenance of and riding a 69 441 BSA and a 70 Triumph TR6C. Is Tanacross still happening? Cheers, Doug

tjones23
11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Victor is still living in North pole, far as I know. The old crowd is pretty well spred out. Fred Eaton is having something to do with Nortons and roadracing in Seattle last I heard. The rest are scattered from Arizona to Bay Area, Montana. All still riding. Few of us in Alaska yet. I'm spending my winters putting a 66 Triumph cafe piece together along with maintenance of and riding a 69 441 BSA and a 70 Triumph TR6C. Is Tanacross still happening? Cheers, Doug

Victor is still in NP. They are like family, so I stop in whenever I'm in town. Don't know Fred, but others may. I just stopped to think about where Tolovana is. Not much pavement close by, eh? Did I hear that they've paved to Livengood now? I used to ride up to (former) end of the pavement at White Pass and take in the reality that I'm standing at the edge of civilization... Pretty much nothing but wilderness till deep into Russia. My mother taught in Minto from like '97 to '04, she's now out in Hughes. Crazy.

tim

Tolovana Trader
11-13-2006, 05:17 PM
We're at the mouth of the Tolovana, nearest road is 40 miles away. Keep the bikes in town and ride when I'm in. Let us know when you're around next, we'll gather Victor up fr a round of coffee. D :)